Everyone knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast is the meal that gets you ready for your day. Helps you focus, and it gives you the energy you need to get through your day. So if we know all these things, why do we continue to skip the most important meal of the day. Why don't we give our body the fuel it needs to help us get through our day. Keep in mind, that every time you skip breakfast your body has to play catch up for the rest of the day. Not to mention, without breakfast you will have a hard time focusing and will continue to slow down your metabolism. So try to eat breakfast daily...give your body what it needs to start the day. Here are a couple of breakfast recipes that you may want to try.
EGG WHITE VEGGIE SCRAMBLE (SERVES 3)
1 Cup Mixed Bell Peppers (red, green, and yellow), diced
1/2 Medium onion, diced
6 Medium Mushrooms, diced
1 Cup Egg Whites
6 Tablespoons low-fat Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Coat skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place on medium heat.
2. Combine and saute all vegetables until tender, around 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add eggs and cheese; stir until egg whites are firm.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
BREAKFAST BURRITO (SERVES 2/SERVING SIZE IS 1 BURRITO)
4 Large Egg Whites (or equivalent egg substitute)
1 Tablespoon 1% Low-Fat Milk
1 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Cilantro
Dash of Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Reduced-Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided in half 2 (8-inch)La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Tortillas, heated
4 Tablespoons chopped, Seeded Tomato, divided in half 2 Tablespoons Bottled Chunky Salsa, divided in half
1. Whisk the first four ingredients (through pepper) in a medium bowl.
2. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the egg mixture, and stir with a heatproof rubber spatula to scramble.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese down the center of one tortilla; top with half the scrambled egg, 2 tablespoons tomato, and 1 tablespoon salsa.
4. Roll up burrito-style (fold bottom up and sides to center). Repeat with remaining ingredients.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
Fat: 5g Protein:
Michaels, J. Making The Cut. Pgs. 62-63.