I can not stress enough the importance of stretching. I have seen many people suffer from neck pain, back pain, and knee issues. This is partly due to the lack of strength in the muscle and the lack of flexibility people suffer from.
It is important to include a stretching routine in your daily regimen. You may want to break it up by doing part of your stretching in the morning and the second part in the evening.
When people complain about lower back pain, they often suffer from tight hamstrings. When your hamstrings are tight this places alot of pressure in your lower back and in your knees. These parts of your body have to compensate for the lack of flexibility in the hamstrings.
Below, are a couple of stretches you may want to try before or after you workout, in the morning or in the evening before you go to bed. These stretches will help you with your daily routine and with progress in your fitness regimen.
- Hamstring Stretch
Benefits: A great leg muscle stretching exercise with no back strain.
- *Place the butt up against the wall or door jam.
- *Put the leg vertical and straight up the wall or door jam.
- *More Advanced - Flex the toes back toward your chin.
- Hip / Piriformis Stretch
Benefits: Greatly enhances the ability to swing the club. If this area is tight, it will restrict hip turn.
- *Lay on the back and pull the knee of one leg to the chest.
- *The opposite leg crosses placing the heel/ankle on the knee.
- Cobra Stretch
Benefits: Classic stretch for keeping the whole spinal area limber and flexible. Also flexes the quads and buttocks.
- *Lay flat on your stomach with tops of the feet flat on the ground and touching.
- *While lifting up with the lower back, keep the palms down on the floor.
- *Work the shoulders back toward the heels.
- *Do the stretch till the neck feels as "long" as possible.